• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Musketeer

Musketeer
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 02:55 PM

So on Sunday I decided to explore a bit and trail run/ hike a section of the routes on and around Table Mountain. Since I’m an ex Valie and have only done Platteklip gorge previously, I got onto Google and with the help of some locals settled on the Pipetrack option and ascending via Kasteelpoort to the top. I roped in my sister in law and as she is not as fit yet, it ended up being a run/ hike for most of the way.

d.jpg

Long story short, the route was spectacular and littered with other hikers/ runners although it was not as busy as Platteklip, which I really liked. After wolfing down some bananas and taking pictures at the old cable car station, we decided to trek the route from there to the cable car/ Platteklip Gorge and man oh man was it worth it.

c.jpg

The challenging terrain and rolling topography was fantastic and I would definitely return and try and move over it a bit faster. With the awesome weather yesterday the trails were busy which in my mind made it a lot safer. Will definitely do it again.

b.jpg

aa.jpg

• seabee and robenslin like this

#2 Jewbacca

Jewbacca
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 02:58 PM

you should try going up India Venster as well... It is way better than the highway (Platteklip) with some boulders and bolts...

There is so much to explore up there. I have been running the Cape Peninsula mountains for 20 years and I still find new ways to blend them all together.

Enjoy!

#3 Musketeer

Musketeer
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 September 2016 - 03:42 PM

you should try going up India Venster as well... It is way better than the highway (Platteklip) with some boulders and bolts...

There is so much to explore up there. I have been running the Cape Peninsula mountains for 20 years and I still find new ways to blend them all together.

Enjoy!

Sounds fantastic.

I have definitely not stopped exploring. Actually glad I did Platteklip before this,

• Jewbacca likes this

#4 Koei

Koei
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationStellies

Posted 17 October 2016 - 04:57 PM

I'm heading to Cavendish tomorrow afternoon. Will be there for one day only. Are there any recommended short-ish routes in the area (about 6-8km). I'm willing to drive 30min max.

Was thinking of doing a short route in Kirstenbosch with some elevation. Something like the Skeleton Gorge maybe. Also, are there any off-limit hours?

Any suggestions?

#5 Musketeer

Musketeer
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 06:33 AM

I'm heading to Cavendish tomorrow afternoon. Will be there for one day only. Are there any recommended short-ish routes in the area (about 6-8km). I'm willing to drive 30min max.

Was thinking of doing a short route in Kirstenbosch with some elevation. Something like the Skeleton Gorge maybe. Also, are there any off-limit hours?

Any suggestions?

Kirstenbosch should be a good option or you can do Newlands Forest which is also close by Cavendish. There is a couple of routes from there that can get you quite distance up the mountain. As far as timing is concerned, I think the rule of thumb is to be off the routes when it is dark so to be safe I'd say 19:00 should be the cut off.

#6 Koei

Koei
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationStellies

Posted 18 October 2016 - 09:09 AM

Kirstenbosch should be a good option or you can do Newlands Forest which is also close by Cavendish. There is a couple of routes from there that can get you quite distance up the mountain. As far as timing is concerned, I think the rule of thumb is to be off the routes when it is dark so to be safe I'd say 19:00 should be the cut off.

Awesome thanks, I'm scouting routes on Movescount now. Will either do a sunset or sunrise run tomorrow. 

#7 Craig B

Craig B
  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 October 2016 - 07:14 PM

Enjoy!

Hi, how safe is it to run pcatteklip/pipetrack/lions ahead alone ? i recently started trail running after selling mtb and only been running tygerberg trails, thinking of doing solo missions on these routes ..... good or bad idea ? 

#8 Musketeer

Musketeer
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 October 2016 - 06:39 AM

Hi, how safe is it to run pcatteklip/pipetrack/lions ahead alone ? i recently started trail running after selling mtb and only been running tygerberg trails, thinking of doing solo missions on these routes ..... good or bad idea ? 

Platteklip is like a highway, it is quite busy so I would say in my opinion probably the safer option of the 3, although it is quite steep. Did the pipetrack and Kasteelpoort and although not as busy over the weekend there were enough feet to not make you feel isolated. Unfortunately I cannot comment on Lion's head.

A good idea is to maybe run with a small pepper spray canister just in case some #trailrunnermustfall idiot try and persuade you to part with your valuables with a broken bottle or so.

• Craig B likes this

#9 robenslin

robenslin
  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:17 AM

Great write up, thanks for sharing. I'm move to CPT in the next two weeks so will be looking for trails to run/explore and hopefully meet other adventurers, perhaps some of you from this thread ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Musketeer likes this

#10 Musketeer

Musketeer
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 29 March 2018 - 07:19 AM

Post moved

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Western Cape

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users