3 replies to this topic

#1 RABUBI

RABUBI
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCenturion

Posted 04 December 2017 - 05:15 AM

I have been living and working in Japan now since April, and been preparing the past four months for this event.

http://www.izutrailj...ey.com/ENGLISH/

72KM, 4 400M ascent.

Wish me luck, I think I am in sh**

Attached Files

• CobusV likes this

#2 Raab

Raab
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 166 posts
  • LocationMidstream - Centurion

Posted 05 December 2017 - 01:46 PM

I have been living and working in Japan now since April, and been preparing the past four months for this event.

http://www.izutrailj...ey.com/ENGLISH/

72KM, 4 400M ascent.

Wish me luck, I think I am in sh**

Looks epic, klap it HARD!

#3 Koei

Koei
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationStellies

Posted 09 December 2017 - 08:07 AM

Do post some photos please. I've seen some trail vids of Japan and it looked awesome! 

Good luck!

#4 RABUBI

RABUBI
  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationCenturion

Posted 13 December 2017 - 03:00 AM

Motherf***** this was insane....

I have done a few tough runs in South Africa but nothing like this. This was also my first ultra trail, so I took a big bite on this one. Distance wise it was similar to Goldengate challenge all 3 days combined, just much, much tougher.

What contributed to the difficulty was on top of the ascent of 4 400M, was that roughly a third of the route was stairs up and down. The route went over established hiking trails, linking short routes that was mainly stairs.

I managed to finish in 11:36, with cut-off being 14 hours. I was 366th, and when I finished, more than 1200 people were still on the route. We started in Matsuzaki at the Izu peninsula, and Finished at Shuzenji 72km and 15 million stairs later. Temperatures dipped below zero at points, with some snow on the route and really strong winds.

Race started at 6am in the dark, and in winter around 4:45 it is again dark already, so I did a good stint in the dark with a crappy headlight.

Two firsts for me, my first ultra on low carb, high fat diet, and I also threw my first snowball, although the Japanese I aimed at was not impressed.

To be honest, this was no fun at all, I enjoy trails that are up to 20km much more than this. This was just dumb. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.

Attached Files

• Raab and CobusV like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users